Steps to become a Volunteer Hike Leader inside California State Parks
If you desire to be outdoors; in some of the most beautiful, scenic areas of Calif; leading a group of appreciative fellow hikers and outdoors; old and new friends, this is a great volunteer job! But it requires the following fun to acquire skills.
1. There are approximately 200 hiking trails in and around MTSP. By going on many of our weekend scheduled hikes, you can gain the necessary knowledge of the trails you will need, to lead a hike.
2. In going on many hikes you will learn the culture of group hikes, in this area. This will aid greatly in your ability to communicate with the hikers.
3. Communicate an Interpretive Topic, during the hike, by learning about the following; such as Mt.Tam History, State Parks History, Mushrooms, Spring Wildflower identification, Calif. Oaks, Redwoods, Ladybugs, Beetles, Watersheds, Using a GPS on a Hike, etc., etc.
4. Download the Mt.Tam SP Volunteer Hike Leaders Manual and review the most important topics; such as, points to make with the hikers at the start of the hike, dress code for Hike Leaders, what to do in case of a medical emergency on the hike, suggested reading for HLs and interpretive topics for hikes. etc.
5. Ability to use and have access to email.
These are some of the basic skills, knowledge and experience needed to become a Hike Leader at MTSP.
Once a new volunteer commits to becoming a Hike Leader and has accomplished the above; the following process is followed:
The prospective Hike Leader picks two upcoming hikes and contacts the scheduled MTSP Hike Leader for that hike; requesting to come along as their Co-Hike Leader.
You will be guided by the experienced Hike Leader in following the guidelines provided in the, “Mt.Tam SP Volunteer Hike Leader Manual”. The final step in the process is to lead a hike with the regular Hike Leader as your Co-leader. In this hike the regular Hike Leader will use a check-list to follow how you fulfilled the MTSP goals, for State Park hikes.
To get started, send an email to, FMTanswers (at) gmail:com and we will get back to you.